Saturday, November 22, 2008

Oulsham Does Not Have Chick Fingers

So I have to replace the kitchen faucet today. I actually had to replace it a long time ago, but whatever, it's getting done today. I had a question about something so I referred to my super handy-dandy Black & Decker Home Fix-It Guy Book Thing that has been with me on many a home repair.

Well, the guide is illustrated with nice clear pictures that easily answered my question. The book says the repair should take an hour, which is underscored by the hands of the model doing the repair. Very slender, beautifully manicured girl hands. Now the fact that they belong to a girl is not my issue, I think if more women replaced faucets less men would have to, but that's another entry. It's just that I work with my hands and they are completely gnarly looking. Beat up finger nails, little bits of cuts of scrapes everywhere, all kinds of icky man hand things. And I know after I finish with the faucet I'll have at least one more scraped knuckle or ripped cuticle.

What the editors of the book are saying to me is: "Look, you lame-o, this girl with these beautiful chick fingers did this faucet in an hour and here it is two hours later and you're still tightening the compression fitting on the hot water supply."

So what I would like to see is girl hands that are beat up like mine are, this way I will at least believe that the model is actually doing the repair work, thusly building my confidence to install that water purifier to the well tank I've been meaning to install...

No comments: