Monday, April 28, 2008

Authority Is Earned Not Given

So Saturday night I am at an almost local high school watching the youngest Oulshamite perform with her school's jazz band in the state finals. Third place thank you very much. But that's not the information you come here for.

This is: The emcee lady was an annoying Principal type with short hair, glasses on a chain around her neck and a sweater that complemented her skirt perfectly. She was the very type of teacher who made my own school years unbearable and who removed all consideration I had of ever going into the education field. Well, between bands there is a short break. The lights come up and people talk to each other. I spoke to my SO and the people who were there with us. I saw an old friend and waved at him. I cracked wise about the annoying Teacher Lady. But this was not acceptable to Teacher Lady. She insisted on being the main focus of the evening by reading to us from the program. Line-by-line reading of the worst and most boring sort. From a program I had on my lap and could read if I felt so inclined. It was just like school.

Well, it was way funny to watch Teacher Lady get frustrated at the fact that no one was bothering to listen to her. She realized she was not in a classroom where she could pretend she had any authority, and this frosted her buns. Her very tight and un-fun buns. Finally, she'd had enough of these rude adults talking to their friends and relations. So, Teacher Lady says, and I quote, "People, you must listen to this information. It is very important. I know you all love to talk but I really want you to pay attention to me."

I was happy to know I was not the only person in the auditorium who thought this was funny. I was also happy to hear the overall volume of the room get louder. It is very likely she is married to a police officer or a zoning official.

Thank you, people.

No comments: