Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Irish Goodbye

Here's a new one. Well actually, it's an old one I just didn't know it had a name. Officially, the Irish Goodbye is when a person is somewhere where there are other people, maybe a party, or a wedding or a funeral, and that person gets in a snit and just leaves without saying goodbye. By definition, it is the act of leaving without saying goodbye so as to increase people's awareness that you have left and that you want to express to people your displeasure at whatever slight it is that you have just suffered.

Typically the results are just the opposite of the intention. Like, "Where's that jackass Seamus?" "I don't know, he was here a minute ago and now he's gone." "Must be mad."

Or, "Have you seen Mary Catherine?" "Yes, I saw her leaving a few minutes ago, and boy did she look mad." "Jackass."

It's nice to finally have a name for it, so now I can categorize it when I see it.

No comments: