Saturday, June 7, 2008

My Day Off

It's June 7. This will be my fifth day off, and only my second complete (no cell phone, email, text message) day off since February 24. In the last two weeks I worked 160 hours. I am overwhelmed with things I want to do, but mostly I gotta get the lawn mowed in the back and then I think I will take a nap.

I just completed a gig with a major giant corporation whose name sounds similar to a bald television detective from the 1970s; I will be moving to another giant corporate gig in a few weeks if things go as planned. This gig I just completed was the most bizarre professional experience of my life and I'm not really sure that if I give you even bit details you will believe me so I won't waste our time. In the past 24 hours I handled employee complaints (that was a major part of the gig for me) about racism, sexism, coercive and abusive management dictates and more stuff that Charles Dickens made a career writing about, and all of it was acceptable within the corporate structure so I took my briefcase and laptop and went home.

The only thing I took from this whole thing was that I do actually have ethics and standards, so I have at least been refreshing to myself.

No comments: