Thursday, January 22, 2009

TWIR - Vinyl Edition

I know it's 12 hours early, but lucky you, there will be a regular TWIR tomorrow morning.

I'm sitting hear listening a to a virgin remastered version of "Eat A Peach" on a 180gram vinyl disk through a brand new pair of KEF speakers and I am loving it. Eat your heart out people who aren't my friends, because you will probably never get to enjoy this treat.

1. Rediscover music the way it was meant to sound - with odd-order harmonics - not those nasty even-order harmonics digital gives you. Listen to more vinyl, buy a vacuum tube amp or vacuum tube DAC and live your musical life once again.

2. Go to the Princeton Record Exchange, Nassau Street, Princeton, the next time you have a winter afternoon to kill. If you're looking for an album, or a dreaded nasty CD, and they don't have it, you really don't need it.

3. I got Blotto's "I Want To Be A Lifeguard" and The Monroes "What Do All The People Know?" EPs there in near mint condition for $4.00 each.

4. The "Eat A Peach" I mentioned, on the spectacular 180gram vinyl was $40 bucks, but it has completely remastered graphics and some bonus tracks. You can hear Duane breathing as he plays that way high open-D tuned acoustic during "Little Martha." Go buy a remastered vinyl copy of your favorite album and find out what you've been missing. The record label we should all love and honor is Vinyl Lovers Records.

5. I got a mint condition 1968 Mamas and Papas Greatest Hits import pressed only in England for $3.00. It sounds fantastic.

I am a sorry, sorry, person, but I'm happy.

No comments: